Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Homemade Dogfood

I cut your dogfood bills and feed your dog healthier food by making your own dogfood. I also have much less garbage since I'm not using all those cans, which get all smelly too. It takes me about twenty minutes to make a week's worth of food for my dog, a 30lb mutt. I combine the following in an 8 quart pressure cooker:

1. Either around 10 pototoes, or about three cups of barley (presoaked overnight).
2 Two pounds of ground beef.
3. A mix of veggies (about one cup).
4. One uncooked egg (shell included).
5. Enough water to cover the potatoes or barley and prevent the mixture from drying. It's better to use too much water so the bottom doesn't burn.

Cook these in the pressure cooker for around twenty minutes. When the food has cooled, mash it into a rough paste and you have your dogfood. I freeze about half and start using it midway through the week, and refrigerate the rest in a plastic sealable container for the first half of the week.

For the meat, I use the 27% fat. I've read in a couple of books on the subject that fattier meat has a calming effect. I don't feel this is unhealthy since the meat actually isn't a very high proportion of the whole meal.

The eggshell is included because apparently this is a good source of calcium.

Of course you should check with your vet to determine what diet is best for your pet. I've fed my dog the above diet, plus beef neck bones and turkey necks for treats, for the past three years and he's in great shape. People often comment that he looks much younger than his age of ten. Plus I can determine the ingredients and don't have to worry about the level of anti-freeze or floor sweepings in his diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment